It was only a few years ago that a recession hit the United States economy forcing several cold storage projects to come to a screeching halt. During this time rather than build new structures, cold storage solution companies began upgrading and replacing existing facilities.
Today however, the cold storage industry is catapulting back like never before. Companies like A-N-C Cold Storage Construction, Inc. have learned the importance of staying ahead of consumer demand by investing in energy efficient technologies and automated systems. The majority of the shifts occurring in the cold storage construction industry can be attributed to flexibility within the workforce and forward-thinking industry leaders emerging with their fresh ideas and new perspectives. Additionally, increased government regulations, operating performances and changing food and safety rules all offer new ways of conducting business.
While there are many factors responsible for the revitalization of the cold storage construction industry, is it important to point out a few:
- The Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), set in 2011, raised standards around temperature control, sanitation, and food defense in an attempt to prevent food contamination. By focusing on preventative measures versus reactive measures cold storage solution companies can better focus on situations such as contamination issues on vehicles and transportation vessels required to move food. Key steps worth mentioning would include; lockable doors, keypads, fencing, and cameras.
- Implementation of Increased use of energy efficient technologies will continue to grow and expand as the marketplace develops. Facilities are choosing simple changes like replacing lighting with LED, completing installation of hygienic air equipment with automated access, minimizing production waste and full installation of reclamation water systems. Cold Storage Solution providers and users are beginning to shift to more green and sustainable options to appeal to changing consumer priorities and decrease cost and because it is environmentally friendly.
- Building up has been an increasing trend. This is partially due to facility locations becoming more challenging to locate. Many facility locations come equipped with built-in site restrictions resulting from land topography and geographic locations. By building up and not out, a much smaller footprint is necessary to secure space for loading docks, parking and on-site stormwater preservation systems.
- Automated Systems are the wave of this trending industry. For example, the use of AS/AR systems allows for a more streamlined functionality for tracking and use of inventory, making procedures highly efficient for both the company and consumer. As we continue to move toward the future, more facilities will require more energy efficient solutions resulting in low energy cost for the life of the facility and also will ensure a much more positive impact on beneficiary communities served.
- Fresh ideas from Millennials are on the rise. In Refrigerated & Frozen Foods’ July 2016 State of the Industry report, it says “Millennials are a hot new trend. From their [Millennials] collaborative work groups to their ability to receive and adapt to quickly changing technology. Millennials have become instrumental to the release of new technology, which benefits both the company and the Millennials alike. Furthermore, Millennials seem to be more focused on areas of sustainability, organic nutrition, and local sourcing of organic products.”
The future of Cold Storage Construction Solutions is definitely on the rise. One of the most encouraging and enticing revelations in the industry this year is the constant evolution of innovation around concepts, designs and construction of cold storage and food processing facilities. While 2016 was a great year for the industry, companies like A-N-C Cold Storage Construction looks forward to a phenomenal 2017 and all it has to offer.
To learn more about A-N-C cold storage solutions for your company schedule a FREE consultation with a Cold Storage Construction Expert Today!